Structured data can be referred to as the language of search engines. It means that structured data is used by websites to make their content more understandable to the search engines and thereby improve SERP rankings. Structured data has a standardized format and it conforms to a data model. This well-defined data type is stored in a database. It is a set of codes and follows a definite order which can be accessed by both humans and machines.
When a search engine like Google knows what the content is, it can match the content of the website with the search query. For example, structured data of a travel website gives information on the geographical location of the place, the author of the website, reviews etc. Briefly, it describes the content of the website, and they are searchable types of data. Structured data makes it easier for the search engines to analyze the content of the website and this in turn can boost SEO ranking of the website. For SEO purposes, Schema.org is the most used vocabulary (syntax).
Businesses and marketers rely on agencies outsourcing SEO services to build authority of their brand and rank it higher on Google. And these days the internet is flooded with numerous sources of information and if the website has structured data, users can easily identify the content they require. Similarly, local businesses rely on local SEO companies to add structured data to their website. For instance, if a user searches for best hair salons in New York City, the structured data of the website highlights the reviews, business hours and services offered by the salons found in New York City.
How Structured Data Can Boost SEO
- Structured data implements mark-up on a webpage and this mark-up is essential for highlighting the relevancy of the content of the website.
- Enhances results on SERP with the help of rich cards, knowledge boxes etc.
- With interactive features and images, it leads to rich search results.
- The visibility of the brand can be improved with the help of knowledge graph.
- Improves click-through rate and this in turn can drive more organic traffic.
Tools Used for Structured Data
It is a comprehensive tool which is widely used, and it can be used even by content marketers with no technical background. It can be used to mark-up the content written on WordPress, which is the widely used Content Management System. It enhances the content by adding rich snippets and plug-ins. This helps to propel the SEO results by reducing bounce rates and increasing the click-through rate.
- Google Structured Data Testing ToolIt is an easy-to-use, free data testing tool that helps you to identify errors and check the code when you paste a website’s URL in it. The format of the structured data is validated by looking for warnings and flagging the errors found in the code. It is highly depended upon by SEO companies to make sure that the structured data is coded according to Schema.org standards.
It is a user-friendly structured data tool for content marketers. The tool formats the content appropriately by marking up the FAQs of the created content and this enhances the results on Google. It is widely used by content marketers for WordPress accounts. Yoast SEO tool is programmed in such a manner that it flags SEO issues of the content, builds meta-descriptions, title tags, and redirects broken or mismatched URLs. The user doesn’t have to mark up the page for it is done by the tool itself.
- Chrome Extension Structured Data Testing ToolIn Chrome internet browser, the tool can be used as an extension and it validates the mark-up, and the format is checked by validation tool supported by Google. Warnings and errors will be displayed in red and orange. The code is checked online behind a password-protected page.
- SEO SiteCheckup
This comprehensive website analysis tool has a structured data testing tool too. The tool checks whether the structured data complies with HTML micro data specifications or not. It also checks the website for SEO-related issues such as URL redirects and page load speed.
- Merkel’s Schema Mark-up Generator
The defining feature of the tool is that it automatically generates schema mark-up code. It can be used by non-technical content writers. By feeding the type of content you are going to write with some information like headline, image URL and URL, the tool generates mark-up code for the content.
- JSON- LD Schema GeneratorThis structured mark-up tool is suitable for people, business organizations, and websites. There will be a simple form that users have to fill out, and with this information the tool generates a perfect bit of code which will be added to the tag of the user’s website.
- Knowledge NavigatorThis tool helps users see who searches what. It gives businesses and marketers details about what the customers need; this can be helpful in targeting potential customers. The customers will be provided with the right data and information.
- Google Code labsThe tool is a library of coding tutorials for developers. It gives a hands-on coding experience. Code labs gives a tutorial on how to insert structured data into a basic HTML page. The tutorial consists of examples of adding structured data in content and teaches users to insert rich snippets.
- SnippetronThis tool can reduce the time needed to structure data. It is an artificial intelligence-based WordPress plugin which generates structured data automatically. The content of the website is summarized according to Schema.org.
It’s evident that structured data has a key role to play in boosting the SEO efforts of businesses and marketers. The benefits of website mark-up range from increasing the visibility of the website to targeting potential customers. By hiring providers outsourcing SEO services, websites can enjoy the benefits provided by structured data.
Need help with search engine optimization, content writing services, and web design services? Our team at MedResponsive can help!Call us at (800) 941-5527 and schedule a FREE consultation with our Senior Solutions Manager.