Do you know that Google – the most popular search engine – is always updating its algorithms? Yes, it is! To ensure that the platform is presenting the most accurate, relevant, and secure pages for its users, Google updates its algorithm frequently. Recently, Google launched a third products review algorithm update in search results. Our digital marketing services company keeps track of new Google updates and trends and understands how they can impact our clients’ digital marketing campaigns.
March 2022 Product Reviews Update
The first product reviews update was launched on April 8, 2021, and the second was launched on December 1, 2021. The third product reviews algorithm update, i.e. the March 2022 product reviews update, adds new criteria to the updates launched last year. This search ranking algorithm update is aimed at ranking product review-related content on the web that is most helpful and useful to searchers. It looks for in-depth analysis, actual product use, unique information, and comparable product coverage.
The company noted that the rollout will happen over the next few weeks and in the earlier stages of this rollout, webmasters should expect the bulk of ranking volatility.
Products Review Update
The Google products review update aims to promote review content that is above and beyond much of the templated information you see in its search results rankings. For instance, if you provide thin content that simply summarizes a bunch of products, you might find that your rankings have been demoted and other content is promoted above yours, which will definitely feel like a penalty. But then, technically, according to Google, it is not a penalty against the thin content; instead, Google is just rewarding sites containing more insightful review content with higher rankings.
However, with the latest update, Google’s efforts continue to surface higher quality product reviews in search results. It will make it easier for Google to get sound purchasing advice in front of users, and reward creators who are helpful.
New Guidelines of Products Review Algorithm Update
Google noted that the products review update is not a core update; it is a standalone update. Nevertheless, Google did add that the advice it originally provided for core updates, about producing quality content is also relevant here. In addition to that advice, Google provided additional guidance specific to this update.
To meet the search engine’s quality threshold, Google is publishing new guidance on writing product reviews. They are:
- To include:
- expert knowledge about products where appropriate
- helpful in-depth details, like the benefits or drawbacks of a certain item
- specifics on how a product performs or how the product differs from previous versions
- show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer
- quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance
- details that come from people who have actually used the products, and show what the product is physically like or how it’s used
- include unique information such as visuals, audio or links to other content detailing the reviewer’s experience and reinforce the authenticity of a product’s review
- Cover comparable products, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances apart from its competitors
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says
- Give the reader the option to purchase from their merchant of choice by including links to multiple sellers.
Though technically, this update should only impact products review content and not other types of content. Google confirms it does apply to ranked lists and comparison reviews.
If you want to check whether your website that offers products review content was impacted, that is, if organic traffic from Google has improved, declined, or remains the same, we can help you. We will help you stay in line with SEO best practices, improve your rankings, and also understand the reasons behind any performance shifts.
| As a company providing organic search engine optimization services, we keep track of all Google algorithmic updates and can help you prepare for them. We believe in getting you results through a full spectrum of services ranging from SEO, and content writing, to conversion rate optimization.
A strong SEO strategy with a strong executive team is what we provide.